When I am asked what I miss most about living in the States my answer is always, “Family and Mexican food. Good Mexican food.” My favorite being tortilla soup. I could eat it by the gallons! The truth is, my husband probably makes the BEST tortilla soup ever. Being in LA this week, I am craving Mexican food and good tortilla soup. I recently found Eva Longoria’s recipe and family secret for hearty Tortilla Soup. This is from Eva’s collaboration with celebrity chef and restaurateur Todd English. The two joined forces to open the Los Angeles hot spot Beso. The menu showcases her love of South American and Spanish flavors.
6 whole Roma tomatoes
1/2 cup olive oil, divided
1 medium onion, diced
1/2 bunch celery, diced
1 pasilla chili pepper, diced
1 jalapeño pepper, diced
1/4 cup garlic, chopped
6 cups hearty chicken stock
1/2 cup lime juice
1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
2 teaspoons chili powder
2 teaspoons ground cumin seed
1 tablespoon paprika
1 bay leaf
2 boneless chicken breasts, cut into strips
2 tablespoons fresh cilantro leaves
Tortilla chips, avocado, jalapeños, and sour cream to garnish
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. In a bowl, toss tomatoes with half the oil, 1 teaspoon salt, and a pinch of black pepper. Spread on a baking pan and roast until light brown, 25 to 30 minutes.
2. While tomatoes are roasting, in a stockpot over medium heat, sauté onion, celery, peppers, and garlic in remaining oil. Stir frequently until soft and translucent.
3. To stockpot add chicken stock, lime juice, cayenne, chili powder, cumin, paprika, and bay leaf. Bring to a boil, then reduce to a simmer. Simmer 20 minutes.
4. Remove roasted tomatoes from oven (peel should be falling off), and add to broth.
5. Add chicken-breast strips and simmer 10 minutes.